Owner-Operator Work Permits
Foreign nationals wishing to come to Canada to operate a business can apply for a work permit under the Entrepreneurs/Self-employed category. Frequently, this category is referred as the “Owner-Operator work permit”.
There are two types of Owner-Operator work permits:
- Owner-Operator work permit based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- Owner-Operator work permit under the International Mobility Program
Owner-Operator Work Permit Based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment
To qualify for an Owner-Operator work permit based on a LMIA, a foreign national must demonstrate that they:
- Own at least 50% of the business and hold a position where they cannot be terminated;
- Will have a wage that is equal or greater than the median wage for the position;
- Will operate a business that will result in the creation or retention of employment opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents, or that it will provide the transfer of skills or knowledge to Canadians or permanent residents;
- Have a viable business plan and have taken measures to put their business plan in place – such as financing, leasing office space, and obtaining a business number with Canada Revenue Agency
- Have a skill set or experience that will improve the feasibility of the business; and
- Will hire at least one Canadian or permanent resident in the first year of operating or opening the business in Canada.
Unlike most LMIA categories, there are no advertisement or recruitment requirements for the Owner-Operator LMIA.
An additional benefit of the Owner-Operator work permit based on a LMIA is that a foreign national can gain additional points under the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) matrix. A foreign national who holds an Owner-Operator work permit based on a LMIA in a senior manager position (NOC 00) can gain 200 additional points. In most cases, gaining these additional 200 points will ensure that a foreign national will be selected from the Express Entry pool of candidates.
Owner-Operator Work Permit Under the International Mobility Program
To qualify for an Owner-Operator work permit under the International Mobility Program, a foreign national must demonstrate that they:
- To qualify for an Owner-Operator work permit under the International Mobility Program, a foreign national must demonstrate that they:Own at least 51% of the business;
- Will operate a business that will generate significant economic, social or cultural benefits for Canada, or will provide opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents, such as employment or a unique service;
- Have a viable business opportunity that will benefit Canada and the Canadian population;
- Have a skill set or experience that will improve the feasibility of the business;
- Have taken measures to put their business plan in place – such as financing, leasing office space, and obtaining a business number with Canada Revenue Agency; and
- Have filed an Offer of Employer (Employer Compliance) application with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (Immigration Canada).
To see if you are eligible to apply, please fill-out Business Immigrant-Entrepreneur assessment form.
The process to apply to study in Canada was very difficult and confusing for me, until my friend told me about Uniglobe Immigration… They helped me get my college admission, study permit and also my husband’s work permit in a short period of time. Mr. Ranjbar applied to the best study options that I could have had and it saved me thousands of dollars. The best thing was that they were always approachable and gave quick replies to every query. Also, they are very genuine, careful, attentive and professional. I am really thankful to Uniglobe Immigration and especially to Mr. Ranjbar who turned my immigration case into a success in a very short time. I highly recommend this company for any immigration related services.
UniGlobe is very reliable. They’re friendly and knowledgable. I received a lot of useful advice from UniGlobe regarding my express entry PR application. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking professional immigration services.
He applied for my brother’s PR and the whole process took about 9 months, which is incredible. I really would like to thank him for his great job and helping my brother and his family
I am happy to receive support by such a proactive and dedicated Immigration Consultants like UniGlobe. Since the beginning, They guided me in the right direction and supported me in my journey . Thank you UniGlobe!
Very satisfied! I was cared for even after the contract was done and paid! Thank you very much Uniglobe immigration services 🙏🏻
I was satisfied with this company’s consultation. Each time they helped me a lot to be in the right path for my immigration needs.
Uniglobe Immigration did a great job for my father’s visa application. Thank you
It was an awesome experience thank you !
I strongly recommend their consultation for PR application, especially for new comers.
The Service was available almost any time and they offer options based on your economic status .I found their honesty an invaluable feature among many others. Good luck for them and their costumers!